Saturday, September 10, 2011

Behind the Brick #1: Congratulations to a New Grad!


NOTE: I wrote the post below in August, then decided to post-date it in case this official recognition brick was a surprise gift scheduled to be unveiled during the Fair. 

Before I continue, let me say this: no, I am not a crazy, weird online cyber-stalker. I just  happen to be fascinated by the stories behind the commemorative bricks found scattered in locations throughout the fair, and have decided to harness the power of Google to do some quick research into the inscriptions that catch my eye. This particular brick, brand new for 2011 and awaiting its turn to be embedded in the brick sidewalk near the Grandstand, grabbed my attention for several reasons. I went to the U myself, and spent a fair amount of time on the St. Paul campus; the Goldstein Museum of Design always has fabulous exhibits and a wonderful decorative arts collection, and the St. Paul library was a favorite study spot. I even once perused 1950s dairy industry trade journals at St. Pauls' Magrath Library while researching a 1950s ice cream box for a graduate school project of my own -- not the kind of thing you can pick up at your local library (or even most of your local  university library, unless, of course, your local research university happens to have a dairy program), and for that I say: Minnesota, Hail to Thee! I think this newly graduated dairy genetics grad student is very lucky to have her achievements written in stone -- literally! -- within walking distance of the science labs and dairy classrooms at the U's St. Paul campus.

In case you're wondering, Amy Hazel researches the "improving the health, fertility, and longevity of dairy cattle through genetic improvement and cross-breeding," and is an all-around dairy and cow expert. Apparently she recently received her degree, for which I say: congratulations! I'm still thinking of pursuing a PhD at some point, and I've decided that if or when that happens, I'm going to buy myself my own state fair commemorative brick to celebrate the occasion. I don't know who bought Amy her brick, but it's a GREAT idea. And Amy, enjoy your time at the fair. Completing a graduate degree is worthy of celebration, and a commemorative state fair brick, perhaps supplemented with a feast of fried food on sticks (and, of course, a glass of all-you-can-drink milk) sounds like the perfect way to toast this achievement.

Commemorative bricks (and benches, and other donor benefits) are managed by the Minnesota State Fair Foundation. It's too late to have your brick ordered in time for the 2011 fair, but they are presumably willing and able to start taking orders for 2012. Information on the 2011 recognition brick program can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment